Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Oh Flavor, Where Art Thou?



You wake up one morning, pick up your favorite vape, and it tastes like you're eating dirt.  Okay, maybe it just doesn't taste like anything.  Slinging the bottle of juice across the room (really don't do that, you'll regret it later) you drive to the vape shop and ask them what kind of people they are, stealing the flavor from your juice in the middle of the night!  Before you get overly dramatic, take a breath, and relax.  It might be the thing most people hate, the dreaded vapor's tongue (or something else which we'll discuss in a minute) which is also known as olfactory fatigue.

Wait!  There's something wrong with my tongue.  No one told me my tongue would have issues from vaping.  Relax!  There's nothing wrong with your tongue.  Think of yourself as a wine connoisseur who professionally tastes wine, this is something they experience too.  Too much of a good thing can send your taste buds into sensory overload.  Vaping the same flavor all the time can bring about similar results.  It could also be more about smell than taste. What one can't smell they can't taste.  I can't make this stuff up (okay, I could but I wouldn't). You can read more about Human Olfactory Psychophysics if you'd like to get into the scientific aspect of it. There are other reasons you might have this problem of not tasting your juice, but this is the most common.

You can research more about the why on your own, let's talk about how to get rid of it.  If we go along with the smell theory, sniffing coffee is a trick they used at perfume counters once upon a time to refresh the sniffer. I don't know about you but I have no problem sniffing out my favorite java beans.  Brushing your tongue and teeth, obviously a no brainer.  Some people suck on a pickle and swear it works others eat salt and vinegar chips.  Lemons, heck try some strong antiseptic mouth wash too if you're impatient, or blow your nose really good.  Eventually (unless you have some medical reason for this problem that wasn't caused by vaping) those taste buds will be back and working like a champ.

There are ways to stop this problem from occurring.  Preventive measures. Don't vape the same juice consistently, keep a variety going.  Stay hydrated, that H20 really is a great help and your body will thank you for it too.  As with soda, soy sauce, drinking alcohol, asparagus, cured meats, coffee, bouillion cubes, popcorn, and fried foods, vaping can dehydrate you.  A few extra glasses or bottles of water a day can put that problem to rest for most people.

All that being said, it may not be vapors tongue at all! Recently I was vaping a great juice and noticed that the flavor wasn't as good as it normally was.  I'd received vape mail that day which included a new tank, and low and behold, the flavor that I thought was gone came in with a mighty roar!  It had nothing to do with vapors tongue and everything to do with a what I was vaping on!  Just as our tongue and nose get tired of the same thing over and over again, I discovered that my good old tank, even with a fresh coil, wasn't delivering the same great taste I fell in love with. Something to consider!

I hope this has helped solve the mystery of where the flavor went.  I'd love to read about your experiences, so please leave a comment below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment